Exceptional Student Education (Special Education)
A Letter from General Director Kim Workman Regarding the Parent Survey on Exceptional Student Education
Your opinion is extremely important to us! Each year the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) surveys parents of children with an individual educational plan (IEP) to determine how well each school is partnering with parents and promoting parent involvement in their child’s education. All states must collect this data as part of their State Performance Plan, as required under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
This survey provides valuable information that allows us to understand what we do successfully, and on practices, we may need to improve upon.
After reviewing last year’s survey results, and in collaboration with Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System (FDLRS) Parent Services, we continue to provide opportunities for families and educators to work together as partners to enhance the learning experiences for all students as we Prepare Students for Life. Here are some areas we have been focusing on this year.
- Continued support to Superintendent’s Advisory Council subcommittees to recommend systemic strategies to improve outcomes for all students with disabilities. These subcommittees comprise of parents, district staff and community members.
- Providing parent training sessions during the day, in the evening, as well as upon request at individual schools and throughout the district.
- Bringing together more community resources and organizations that support families with children with disabilities through Resource Fairs.
- Offering focused informational sessions about the Individual Educational Plan (IEP) process to enrich parent knowledge in the overall development and its components.
- Sharing upcoming events, within the district and community, which support families in the areas of training, camps, special events, medical services and more on the FDLRS calendar.
Please know that your responses are confidential, and no personally identifiable information will be included in data or reports provided to the FDOE or districts. Be on the lookout in your child’s backpack, as all surveys were recently sent to your child’s school. Each survey includes a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope for your convenience.
Each paper survey includes a Survey ID. You may elect to fill out the paper copy or you can complete the survey online at http://www.esesurvey.com.
If you have not received your survey, please contact your child’s case manager at their school or complete the survey online at https://www.esesurvey.com/altlogin.php
We would like to encourage you to complete this survey. Thank you for taking this opportunity to partner with us and for sharing your input.
If you have any questions, please contact Debbie Valdes at or (813) 837-7733 or email Debbie.Valdes@sdhc.k12.fl.us.