Exceptional Student Education (Special Education)
Parentally Placed Private School Students
Parentally Placed Private School Students (PPPSS) are students with disabilities enrolled in not-for-profit private schools. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that school districts expend a proportionate share of their IDEA grant on the provision of services to parentally placed private school students with disabilities.
Each year, Hillsborough County Public Schools (HCPS) consults with private school representatives and parents of parentally placed private school children regarding the provision of services and makes a final decision regarding the services provided to students at private schools.
HCPS non public services provides child find services to ALL Hillsborough County private schools and their students. Child Find services include:
- Assistance in determining if a private school student may need special education services.
- Reevaluation of parentally placed private school students with disabilities
Child Find is mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and refers the responsibility to school districts to identify, locate, and evaluate all children residing within their jurisdiction that either have or are suspected of having a disability and may need special education services. The questions and answers below may assist you in understanding this process.
Question: Which school district is responsible for Child Find activities (i.e., evaluations) when the district the child resides in differs from the district where the private school is located?
Answer: Districts must conduct Child Find activities for all children attending nonprofit private schools, including religious schools, located in their jurisdiction, to identify students who are in need of special education and related services or may need a reevaluation. Note, if the private school operates as a for-profit school, then the district where the student resides is responsible for Child Find activities.
Question: What is the responsibility of the district regarding Child Find activities for parentally-placed private school students?
Answer: Child Find activities must ensure equitable participation and an accurate count of parentally-placed private school students with disabilities enrolled in nonprofit private schools. In carrying out Child Find for parentally-placed private school children, districts must undertake activities similar to those undertaken for their publicly enrolled students.
If you are the parent or guardian of a child in a private school who may need an initial evaluation or needs a reevaluation, please contact Sandra Marra at 813 273-7019 or complete the request assistance form.
Not-for-profit private schools in Hillsborough County are invited to affirm with HCPS for services. Each year a service delivery model is determined through consultation between private schools and HCPS Non Public Services.
The current service delivery model provides the following supports and services to private school students with disabilities attending affirmed private schools and to the staff that serves them:
- Hillsborough County Public Schools will provide direct services in the form of speech/language therapy to eligible parentally-placed private school students with disabilities who are identified as Speech Impaired and/or Language Impaired. These services, in the form of speech therapy, will be provided on the private school campus through a contractual arrangement between the district and a third party agency that has been approved by the School Board. Direct services in the form of speech therapy will be delivered in accordance with each eligible student’s services plan.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools will provide indirect services in the form of general, large group training sessions to teachers and guidance counselors who work with parentally-placed private school students with disabilities.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools will provide indirect services in the form of individualized and/or small group customized trainings from an ESE certified teacher to private school personnel who work with identified (IDEA eligible) students with disabilities at private schools.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools will provide indirect services in the form of supplementary, consumable reading, language arts and mathematics materials to be used with students with disabilities who are having difficulties in the areas of reading and mathematics.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools will provide indirect services in the form of diagnostic assessments to be used with students with disabilities who are having academic difficulties.
- A Summer Institute will be provided to teachers, guidance counselors, and administrators and/or other staff from eligible private schools who work with parentally-placed private school students with disabilities.
How Do I Request Services?
Requests for Services need to be submitted by the parent and not the private school. To request speech or language services please complete the Request for Services form. Once your form has been completed and submitted, a representative from the school district will be contacting you within one week.
A Parent's Introduction to Exceptional Education Services in Florida
Child Find Developmental Screenings
Multi Tiered Support System (MTSS)
Private School Listing
Florida Department of Education: DPS: 2011-23 - Technical Assistance Paper for Students with Disabilities enrolled by their parents in private schools
Private School Representatives Links:
(for teachers from private schools)
The Provision of Services to Parentally-Placed Private School Students with Disabilities Booklet
Annual Consultation Meeting:
PRIVATE SCHOOLS annual meeting PPPSS 2018
ESE District Resource Teacher