Guide the Thunder: Equipping youth behind the ice
The Guide the Thunder initiative sponsored by the Community Hockey Department of the Tampa Bay Lightning kicked-off at the beginning of the school year. The purpose of Guide the Thunder is to use hockey as an outlet for students to not only learn how to play the great game of hockey, but to also achieve academically and become productive members of the community. The Lightning hopes to help mold and inspire 100 students to set higher goals and envision bigger dreams for their future over the course of five years.
The first year of Guide the Thunder consists of a 30-week program where the students meet with tutors to help with their academics. They also meet with an individual Lightning staff mentor during that time before hitting the ice for one hour with a coach, community hockey staff and even alumni from time to time. In addition, schools are fully equipped with donated ice hockey gear. After an hour of ice time they enjoy a half hour of physical training with a certified personal trainer. All of the ice time, equipment, school supplies sports physicals, and meals are provided by the Tampa Bay Lightning annually, for the duration of the program.
Follow @LightningMade to see more!View Full Album
- HCPS celebrates JROTC cadets during the Cadet of the Year ceremony
- HCPS Appoints Communications and Media Officer
- Program prepares students for college and careers in the financial service industry
- Newly released study projects the need for at least 23 new schools in the next 15 years
- Students explore career opportunities at the 2017 Future Fair